Monday, January 18, 2010

Trip to Alaska

Hawaii.  California.  Alaska.  New York.  Of all these interesting places, if I had to choose one place to go, I would go to Alaska.  Why, you say?  Although California, Hawaii, and New York are all interesting places, Alaska is the last frontier (besides space, of course).  To get there, I would fly; it would be the quickest way to get from the continental U.S. to Alaska.  (There is a rail connecting Alaska and Canada, but you would also have to take a ferry, and travel to Canada first, of course.)  If we were low enough, and if it was not cloudy, I could also have a bird's eye view of the land on the way there.


The only negative thing about Alaska is the weather.  Not that it is really rainy; rather, it snows.  In fact, blizzards can be expected, and so are sub-freezing temperatures.  At this time of year, January, no weatherman predicts above freezing temperatures.  I would have to take very warm clothes: winter boots; a good coat; good, warm woolen socks; hat; gloves; and much more.  I also might bring hiking or camping gear and a fishing pole, because there can be some big fish there.  I would also bring a can of pepper spray.  Not because the people are dangerous, but because the bears could be.  And of course, I would have to bring a camera.  The views are magnificient, something that Alaska is well known for, besides the cold.  And there are also the Northern Lights, which I expect will be be even more beautiful than the pictures.


In Alaska, I would do a lot of things, and most of them have to do with nature.  In New York, you might want to visit Time's Square or Chinatown, but not in Alaska.  I would go shopping, of course, to get some souvenirs.  But mostly, I would be outdoors.  I would want to go fishing, and hiking, and maybe even camping, but it might be a little cold for me.  If I went at the right time, I might also be able to see a sled dog team, maybe even in a race!  Alaska, the last frontier, has so much to offer that you cannot get elsewhere.  Maybe, in time, it would become more settled, but for now, it is a gorgeous wildlife area, one that I do not want to miss out on.


To learn more about Alaska, and to view my sources, please visit the following sites.
http://www.alaska.com/visitors_guide/

To view the sites where the pictures came from, please click the following links:
http://www.biztrademarket.com/User/170634/bb/bear_and_two_wja.jpg
http://oakfordmedia.com/gallery/alaskan_coastal_mountains.jpg
http://www.alaskaadventurecompany.net/images/slideshow/northernlights.jpg
http://www.glaciernationalpark.name/polebridge/sled_dogs_race.jpg

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great place to visit, except for the cold. There seems to be so much that one could do and would be great for nature lovers.

    ReplyDelete